We live in a very high-stress, fast-paced world. Our children of today are exposed to so many stimuli, and have many ways to consume both entertainment and knowledge that often simple things, such as our children’s reading success, is at risk.
In this digital age, with many distractions, it is now more important then ever to instil in our children a desire to read.
In the Pew Research Centre findings showed that nearly 90% of 2,462 teachers said that digital technology is creating “an easily distracted generation with shorter attention spans.”
Did you know?
- 48% of American Adults read literature for pleasure.
- Over the past decade, the percentage of Americans who read the newspaper, has dropped from 41% to a shocking 23%.
- 43% of American adults read at or below a basic level. This works out to be 93 million people!
- The number of high school seniors who read in a clear and correct manner, has been in a decline since the year 1992.
- SAT reading scores are currently the lowest they have ever been in 4 decades.
- 26% of children who were read to by a family member at least three times a week, could recognise the entire alphabet.
- 14% of children were not able to recognise the alphabet.
How To Create A Love For Reading:
- Introduce your children to reading from an early age.
- Have books, newspapers and magazines around the house. Teach your children that these mediums are apart of our every day lives.
- Read on your own – if your children see you reading, the chances are they may just copy you.
- Read with your children.